But our Initiative includes the larger surrounding community.
Dec 10th, Friends of Trees Planting
- Complete: Closed the SE Martins street driveways into the parking lot. There is more on-street parking for the Martins Street Condos, and cars will be prevented from using the parking lot as a shortcut street through the block. Criminal activity will be deterred by lessening the points of entry and exit. Thanks to PDC Community Livability Grant for funding
see construction photos
- Complete: Our Happy Block planted 29 street trees along SE Woodstock and SE Martins to beautify our streets, reduce traffic noise and improve air quality. Partner: Friends of Trees
- Complete: Native Plant Learning Garden (105 new native tree, shrubs and grasses.) Volunteers worked together to plant this 1,000 square foot garden. Thanks to EMSWCD SPACE grant for the funding. watch video
- Complete: Depave approximately 4,300 square feet of asphalt (Partnering with the DePave Organization)
- Complete: Added a Mural to the West Facing Wall of McCollum Automotive; Tim Janchar and Terah Beth B. Varga collaborated on the design. SE Uplift Graffiti Abatement Grant.
- Complete: Add Rain Gardens (infiltration basins) to treat all parking lot storm water runoff. There is currently 17,000 sq. ft. of impenetrable asphalt. (374,000 gallons of stormwater runoff enters the city's sewer system per year.)
- Complete: Add a landscape strip filled with trees, shrubs, grasses down the center of the lot (north/south).
- Complete: Landscape along the east side of the parking lot, the property boundary shared with McCollum Auto Body. Landscaping will be added in front of the chain-link fence (with barbed wire) , so that the auto shop's tires and cars (eventually) aren't visible from neighbors homes.
- Add Mulch
- Future Phases:
Neighborhood Edible Garden
Add additional lighting to the parking lot to deter criminal activity.